swimming is unknown to many residents, but it has been gaining popularity in recent times. Many people do not take to swimming because of fear of water, parents not allowing it, fear of getting sick, etc. However, regular swimming has many health benefits. Fortunately, there is a steady increase in the number of children taking up and teaching swimming. There is no age limit for swimming. Anyone can take up swimming in the age groups of small, young, middle-aged, and old.
Swimming is a great physical activity. Because there you have to move your body against the resistance of the water. There is 12%-14% more resistance in water than doing physical activity on land. So, let’s take a look at the health benefits of swimming.
By swimming regularly,
- Endurance increases in your body.
- Muscle tone and strength increase.
- The heart is strong and healthy. Blood circulation in the body is also improved.
- The capacity of the lungs increases and they become healthy. Because swimming is a great respiratory exercise.
- Able to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight. Swimming also helps to keep the body in shape. A person weighing 60 kg will burn about 240 calories by swimming slowly forward for about 30 minutes. If the person is cycling, he has to cycle around 10-11 km in 30 minutes to burn the same amount of calories.
- The risk of contracting non-communicable diseases such as heart attack, paralysis, diabetes, high cholesterol level, and high blood pressure is reduced.
- Almost all muscle groups in the body are exercised at the same time.
- The body is well relaxed.
- Stress gradually decreases. Qualities like positive thinking and patience are improved.
- Body movements are well coordinated, balance is improved, and body posture is healthy.
- The flexibility of the body improves.
- Relieves certain injuries and diseases of muscles, tendons, connective tissues, ligaments, and joints.
- When swimming, it is difficult to make sudden movements of the body, so there is less risk of injury to muscles or joints.
- On hot days, it is able to reduce body heat. Swimming does not damage the body due to excessive heat.
- Have fun with friends and family members. You will also get a chance to meet new friends.
- Prevents premature aging.
- In certain emergencies, survival is possible. In Sri Lanka, a significant number of lives are lost each year due to not knowing how to swim. Research has also found that regular swimmers have a 50% lower risk of dying at an early age than those who run or walk.
- Water is able to support about 90% of body weight. Therefore, swimming enables the obese, the physically challenged, and those who have had certain accidents to engage in physical activity without putting undue pressure or strain on the body. Also, those with joint disorders are able to swim without undue pressure on the joints.
If you are a non-swimmer or have not learned how to swim properly, it is advisable to swim only where a coach or lifeguard is present. Always choose a safe place to swim. Before starting swimming, warm-up exercises and stretching exercises should be done. Drink enough water while swimming. You should have an estimate of your ability, and don’t try to overswim.
Click this link to read our important and interesting articles as soon as they are published!